Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (16 ) bag frozen peas, thawed (3 cups
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 dash nutmeg
- GARNISH: Herbed garlic Croutons, 1/4 c chopped fresh parsley and 2 T lemon peel, or grated Parmesan cheese, optional.
- In a Dutch oven or 4-5 qt saucepan, melt margarine.
- Add celery, garlic, and onion.
- Saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, peas, and white pepper.
- Over med heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to bowl of food processor.
- Cool slightly.
- Return mixture to pan; add milk and nutmeg.
- Heat through, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Top each serving with garnish if desired.
- VARIATION: stir in 1 carrot, steamed and sliced, additional whole peas, or sauteeed and sliced mushrooms.
A nice tasty soup. In the spirit of full disclosure, I did not add the celery or garlic, because I don't like them; I did use a few dehydrated onions, probably about a quarter of what the recipe called for. Aside from personal preference, the garlic is the ingredient I would most consider leaving out, as it would change the whole character of the soup. Also, I didn't have any vegetable stock, but I did have some canned Swanson's chicken broth. I used half broth and half water so that the flavor wouldn't overpower the peas. Finally, the soup is rather thin. I would probably cut the water/broth to 1 1/2 cups another time.