Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my own recipe for a quick pasta meal. I love to use fusili, or rotini, but elbow or penne is good too. This is one of my favourite meals, real comfort food!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large green peppers or 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (23 ounce) can spaghetti sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 lb pasta
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, for the pasta.
- Scramble fry the ground beef in olive oil, with garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add the onions, peppers and mushrooms, and saute until onion is soft.
- Add the spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes, parlsey and basil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, or up to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Return to large pot.
- Stir the sauce into the pasta, or serve separately.
- Serve with freshly grated parmesan, mozzarella or cheddar cheese, homemade biscuits and a green salad.
- Variation: For a beef stroganoff type of dish, use 2 cans of mushroom soup and 1 can of milk instead of the tomatoes and spaghetti sauce, and 1 package of egg noodles, instead of pasta.
- Kids love this!
We enjoyed this weeknight meal, and almost wish I had a need to brown bag my lunch already. This makes a LOT! I even cut down on the amounts since I had just one lb. of hamburger. Using extra lean meat, quality spaghetti sauce and whole wheat pasta makes this a fairly healthy meal, Thanks Hag chef! MERP'd for Bargain Basement.