Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is very good and easy to make. I left out the brown sugar in the recipe, and if I make it again (something I rarely do is make the same recipe) I will omit the fennel or reduce it and add a lot more red pepper in it's place. Recipe courtesy of Pillsbury in Minutes.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet Italian sausage or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 30 ounces tomato sauce
- 29 ounces Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- If sausage comes in casing, remove casing and break up sausage.
- In 4 quart saucepan or Dutch oven, brown sausage, onions and garlic and drain.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over hot cooked pasta. Makes 9 cups.