Prep 15 mins
Cook 36 mins
This a wonderful comfort food! My Italian husband and relatives love it. They can't believe I don't spend the whole day at the stove to make it. Serve with good Italian bread and a salad and your all set! I have included the microwave instructions, but I have never made it this way so...it's your choice. Try it you'll love it. If it's a little thick the next day for left-overs, just thin with a little Red Wine and Chicken broth. YUMMY!!!
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large carrot, pared and coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery & leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon leaf rosemary, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 (20 ounce) cans white kidney beans, undrained (cannellini)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 6 ounces small shell pasta, such as elbows,ditalini or small shells (*I use about 8 to 10 oz., by preference)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Saute garlic in oil in 10" Skillet or Dutch oven with at least 2 Qt capacity, until garlic is lightly browned.
- Remove garlic and discard.
- (I prefer to use chopped garlic and leave it in after browning).
- Add chopped carrot, onion and celery; saute until they begin to color, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add rosemary and tomato paste.
- Add beans with their liquid, chicken broth and water.
- Simmer uncovered, 2 minutes.
- Add pasta, stirring to distribute ingredients evenly.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until pasta is al dente firm, but tender.
- (*With the 8 to 10 oz. of pasta, I cook for about 16 minutes).
- Remove pan from heat.
- Let stand, covered 10 minutes.
- Add salt, if necessary.
- Combine cheese and parsley in small serving bowl.
- Stir vinegar into soup, and ladle into warmed soup bowls.
- Serve with cheese-parsley mixture.
- *Note-I chop the vegetables in my blender, I prefer them more finely chopped and not too coarse.
- Plus it's a real time-saver!
- MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS: Reduce rosemary to 1/2 Tsp Combine garlic and oil in 4 Qt casserole.
- Microwave, uncovered, at full power for 2 minutes.
- Remove garlic, add carrot, onion and celery.
- Microwave, uncovered, for 3 minutes.
- Add rosemary, tomato paste, undrained beans, chicken broth and water.
- Microwave at full power for 14 to 16 minutes or until boiling.
- Stir in pasta.
- Microwave at half power for 12 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar.
- Add salt, if necessary.
- Let stand, covered, 10 minutes.
- Serve with the cheese and parsley mixture.
Love it, love the way the flavor gets in the pasta.
I have never had fagioli before so did not really know what to expect... this soup was WONDERFUL! I agree with a previous review that the vinegar and parmesan cheese are really what made the flavor so outstanding. I left the garlic in, and grated the carrots rather that coarse chopping, but other than I followed the stovetop direction exactly.
Easy, rich, delicious soup. Instead of the white kidney beans, I've made it both with white beans and with chick peas. Don't leave out the cheese topping. That's what makes it so good.