1/1 Photo of Quick Pasta Fagioli
This a wonderful comfort food! My Italian husband and relatives love it. They can't believe I don't spend the whole day at the stove to make it. Serve with good Italian bread and a salad and your all set! I have included the microwave instructions, but I have never made it this way so...it's your choice. Try it you'll love it. If it's a little thick the next day for left-overs, just thin with a little Red Wine and Chicken broth. YUMMY!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large carrot, pared and coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery & leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon leaf rosemary, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 (20 ounce) cans white kidney beans, undrained (cannellini)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 6 ounces small shell pasta, such as elbows,ditalini or small shells (*I use about 8 to 10 oz., by preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1Saute garlic in oil in 10" Skillet or Dutch oven with at least 2 Qt capacity, until garlic is lightly browned.
- 2Remove garlic and discard.
- 3(I prefer to use chopped garlic and leave it in after browning).
- 4Add chopped carrot, onion and celery; saute until they begin to color, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 5Add rosemary and tomato paste.
- 6Add beans with their liquid, chicken broth and water.
- 7Simmer uncovered, 2 minutes.
- 8Add pasta, stirring to distribute ingredients evenly.
- 9Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until pasta is al dente firm, but tender.
- 10(*With the 8 to 10 oz. of pasta, I cook for about 16 minutes).
- 11Remove pan from heat.
- 12Let stand, covered 10 minutes.
- 13Add salt, if necessary.
- 14Combine cheese and parsley in small serving bowl.
- 15Stir vinegar into soup, and ladle into warmed soup bowls.
- 16Serve with cheese-parsley mixture.
- 17*Note-I chop the vegetables in my blender, I prefer them more finely chopped and not too coarse.
- 18Plus it's a real time-saver!
- 19MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS: Reduce rosemary to 1/2 Tsp Combine garlic and oil in 4 Qt casserole.
- 20Microwave, uncovered, at full power for 2 minutes.
- 21Remove garlic, add carrot, onion and celery.
- 22Microwave, uncovered, for 3 minutes.
- 23Add rosemary, tomato paste, undrained beans, chicken broth and water.
- 25Microwave at full power for 14 to 16 minutes or until boiling.
- 26Stir in pasta.
- 28Microwave at half power for 12 minutes.
- 29Stir in vinegar.
- 30Add salt, if necessary.
- 31Let stand, covered, 10 minutes.
- 32Serve with the cheese and parsley mixture.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Pasta Fagioli
Serving Size: 1 (410 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 380.6
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 7.8 mg
- Sodium 1091.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.1 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 20.0 g