Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
My grandma Lorraine Stromgren would listen to WCCO Radio's Joyce Lamont as she broadcasted a daily recipe. My grandma would sit by the radio with pencil in hand to write down those recipe favorites! A cookbook was published in 1979 after 10 years of recipes being broadcasted. Of over 2,000 recipes that had been broadcasted, the cookbook has the recipes that were the listeners' favorites.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef cube steaks (about 4 steaks)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup beef broth (make with hot water and bouillon cube)
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup frozen green peas or 1 cup frozen green beans
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Cut minute steaks into half inch strips, sprinkle them with flour and brown them in oil in a skillet.
- Put the browned meat in a 2 1/2 quart casserole with the beef broth, diced potatoes, sliced carrots, chopped onions, sliced celery, peas, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and Worcestershire sauce- Mix well.
- Cover the casserole tightly and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, in a 350 degree oven.
I made this for my Dad, and he loved it. Now, I get asked when will I fix it again. Delicious, and so easy. I'm thinking of using stew beef or cutting up a chuck roast in cubes to substitute the cube steaks next time.