Quick and easy, but a very nice flavour. Serve with rice or pasta and the whole meal can be ready in less than 30 minutes. Adapted from "Fast & Easy Cooking" by Johanna Burkhard.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Carefully slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise so that you have two thin slices (this helps it cook faster).
- Place flour, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Roll chicken pieces in flour mixture, shaking off excess flour.
- Melt butter over medium-high heat in large nonstick frying pan.
- Add chicken.
- Cook 2 minutes on each side, until light golden.
- Remove chicken.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add broth, orange juice, garlic, Italian herbs and sugar.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 1 minute or until liquid has reduced a bit.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Return chicken to frying pan.
- Reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside and sauce has thickened slightly.
- Serve garnished with parsley.
- Good served with rice.
We are on a lower fat, healthier, eat at home diet and I decided to make this tonight. It was fabulous! I lowered the fat even more by spraying butter flavored Pam and sauteing the chicken and I also used fat free chicken broth. I left out the sugar like Moxie did and also used Fresh basil as fresh herbs pack alot of flavor and you wont miss the fat as much. This was wonderful! DH didn't know he was eating fat free! I served it with over steamed rice with the sauce poured over it and steamed green beans. Thanks for a great lowfat recipe!
So quick and delicious! I used about a tablespoon of fresh basil instead of the dried, and left out the sugar, and found this to be just wonderful. I am sure it will become a regular on our table, since I usually have all these ingredients on hand. Thanks for posting!
This was tasty, quick and easy. We all felt it needed a little extra "ka-blam!" though. Not sure exactly what....we'll let you know when we figure it out! But it was a great idea for a work night when I didn't have much time and had all these ingredients on hand! Thank you for posting.