Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious way to add healthy oat bran to your diet. I like the chopped bananas in these, rather than the usual mashed, as I like running across the small bits of banana. This is a recipe from Bon Appetit that I have changed somewhat to suit my taste.
- 295.73 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml oat bran
- 118.29 ml brown sugar
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 177.44 ml milk
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 2 large ripe bananas, peeled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F; grease 12 (1/3 cup) muffin cups or use muffin liners.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Put milk, oil, egg and vanilla in medium bowl and whisk to blend.
- Add milk mixture to dry ingredients, stirring just until combined; mix in banana, being careful not to overmix.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake about 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into centers of muffins comes out clean.
- Transfer to rack to cool.
I love this recipe! These muffins are much more moist than some other bran muffin recipes I have tried. The only changes I made were substituting 1/4 cup applesauce for the oil and half of the flour with whole-wheat flour. They freeze wonderfully, so I will keep a constant supply of these in my freezer . . . I'll just pull one out for each day! Thanks for sharing, GaylaJ.
Turned out very well, but I made a few adjustments - hence the 4 stars. I used my convection oven at 375o for 15 minutes - any longer and they would have turned out dry. I also used 3 bananas, 1 c all-purpose and 1/4 c whole wheat flour and added a cup of chopped walnuts. Greased the pan and they popped right out. Good texture and flavor. I will definitely make them again!
Quick & easy to make and the kids loved them! Per another reviewer, I used 1/4 cup of non-fat yogurt in place of the oil. Also added our customary handful of chocolate chips (the kids think that they're eating something special!!) Loved that the recipe contained Oat Bran! Mine made 12 mini & 9 regular sized muffins. Thanks...this will go into our regular muffin rotation!