Recipe by Galley Wench
I'm alway looking for ways to simplify life on the boat and these rolls will be perfect! Also great for camping and RVing! For the Baking Mix use Baking Mix (Muffins, Biscuits, Cinnamon. Rolls and Pancakes. Because of the relatively low percentage of fat to flour these rolls are best when served warm, right out of the oven!
- 4 cups baking mix (17 ounces, Baking Mix (Muffins, Biscuits, Cinnamon. Rolls and Pancakes)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (1 3/4 ounces)
- 2 large eggs (or 3 tablespoons whole dried eggs plus 1 cup water or milk)
- 1⁄4 cup water or 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup tbsps milk (4 1/2 to 5 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons milk (4 1/2 to 5 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed (5 1/2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour (1/2 ounce)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup diced pecans (optional) or 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar (4 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cream or 3 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium-sized bowl (or plastic bag, if you're camping), whisk together all of the dry ingredients, including the dried eggs, if you're using them.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the fresh eggs (or extra water for the dried eggs, if you're using them), the water or milk, and the flavor.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients, and mix to form a slightly sticky dough.
- Flatten the dough into a rectangle, cover it, and let it rest for 15 minutes while you make the filling.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the filling dry ingredients, then cut in the shortening or butter.
- Add water to form a spreadable paste; reserve the nuts or raisins for later.
- Prehead oven to 350º F.
- Generously flour your work surface, and roll the dough into a 12 x 15-inch rectangle, sprinkling both sides of the dough with flour if it's very sticky. Spread the dough with the filling, and sprinkle it with the nuts or raisins.
- Starting at a short edge, carefully roll the dough into a log.
- Cut the log into 12 1-inch slices.
- Lay the rolls in a lightly greased 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, or until they're golden brown.
- Let them cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then spread or drizzle with the glaze, which you've made by whisking together the confectioner's sugar, vanilla, and cream or milk.
- For best flavor and texture, serve the rolls warm.