Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a tasty taco recipe developed to use cold, leftover chicken. Light and fresh-tasting. If you want a more traditional taco, you could heat up the chicken, but I like the chicken best at room temperature or slightly cool. This will make more salsa than you need for the tacos, but it's great with tortilla or pita crisps to snack on.
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken is very tasty in this)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple, diced
- 1⁄2 cup cherry tomatoes or 1⁄2 cup grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup seedless cucumber, minced
- 1⁄3 cup minced red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro or 3 tablespoons parsley
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 4 taco shells
- julienned lettuce
- grated cheddar cheese or monterey jack cheese
- sour cream
- Combine the chicken, lemon juice, chili powder, cumin and oregano in a small bowl.
- Make sure the spices mix into all the chicken. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to assemble your tacos.
- Make Pineapple-Jalapeño Salsa: Combine all the salsa ingredients in a bowl.
- Note: I cut the cherry tomatoes in half and give them a gentle squeeze to get rid of excess juice and seeds, then chop them up.
- Assemble Tacos: Fill the taco shells with chicken and salsa. Top with your favourite taco fixings.
- Lean over plate. Take a big bite. Doesn't that taste good?
We really enjoyed these tacos. I especially LOVED the salsa mixture, which I thought was perfect. The seasoning for the chicken is very nice. Perhaps a touch of salt would be nice. Next time I might heat up the chicken mixture (personal preference). Thank you for the quick and fun recipe. I will definitely be making that salsa again and again!
Great meal! The chicken seasoning tastes exactly like the taco seasoning you can buy at the grocery store, which was unfortunate for me because I don't like taco seasoning, but great for everyone else! I loved the salsa, and am happy that I have some left over to use in other dishes.
This was a quick, easy, and satisfing. I thought the meat mixture needed a bit of salt or more seasoning and I honestly didn't care for the cucumbers (personal taste)in the otherwise wonderful salsa. Other than that great job! Thank you for your RSC #10 entry.