Recipe by currybunny
An Aussie classic! So easy and fast and yummy! Everyone does theirs differently; mine is from the text book every Aussie kid uses for Home Ec in high school, Cookery the Australian Way. If you like a thick slice, double the recipe! Hope you like it!
Top Review by Kristine L.
So quick and easy to make, Love it. Great recipe to satisfy those chocolate cravings. This recipe is perfect as is. I iced my first one and found it far too sweet. If you wish to do some icing I think a melted dark chocolate drizzled over it would be nice, but I love this recipe uniced. Thanks for posting .
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup glace cherries, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 cups crushed plain sweet biscuits (for you Americans, that's like graham cracker crumbs!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease lamington pan/slice tray.
- Melt butter and sugar together, stir in cocoa.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and coconut.
- Add egg, then walnuts and cherries.
- Mix in biscuit crumbs; press into pan and refrigerate until firm and cooled, only needs about an hour.
- You can ice this with chocolate icing if you wish; I prefer to leave it plain and press some extra shredded coconut on top before refrigerating!