Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Betty Crocker, this is a simple sauce that can be made from things that you probably always have on hand. It's good on meatloaf and mashed potatoes.
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms, reserve liquid
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 4 drops Kitchen Bouquet
- In medium skillet, heat mushrooms in oil.
- Stir in flour.
- Cook over low heat stirring until mixture is bubbly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add enough water to reserved mushroom liquid to measure 1 cup.
- Stir into mushroom mixture with bouillon cube.
- Heat to boiling; stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in kitchen bouquet.
I doubled the recipe and topped four hamburger steaks with this. I made the hamburger steaks on the grill and then topped with the sauce and let it sit for about an hour. I then reheated the dish. We enjoyed this but we thought it needed some seasoning. We added a good bit of pepper to the mixture.
Quick and easy, and rich tasting. I subbed sodium free beef bouillon powder for the bouillon cube, and added a little extra Kitchen Bouquet. (A great ingredient that I always forget I have a bottle of in the back of the cupboard! :) )