Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
It was the night after Christmas and I hadn’t eaten all day. Had a hard time trying to swallow with a sore throat and Chinese take-out leftovers was hardly appealing. My mother was forcing me to eat because she thinks a little starvation would destroy the liver so I lower her qualms by deciding to make congee out of already made rice. Since I’m only a college student who’s barely beginning to enjoy the pleasures of cooking I don’t exactly know my way around the kitchen just yet. This was actually my first attempt at making something else other than eggs. I didn’t even know how much rice is in one cup. Luckily, good old mom was there and she taught me how to make congee. It was an awful Christmas but slaving over the stove with her was the happiest moment I had all day and the greatest gift I could’ve received. Even though this recipe is extremely bland it tasted better knowing I made this with my mother. Happy Holidays, mom. I love you.
- 1 cup rice (Precooked)
- 7 cups of boiled water (Or chicken broth)
- 3 pieces shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon ginger, skinned and diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon corn oil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (Light)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion (chopped)
- 1 dash black pepper or 1 dash white pepper
- Wash the shiitake mushrooms thoroughly and then boiled with warm water for ten minutes or as long as needed until it’s soft. Remove stems and slice when done.
- Put the rice and water into a pot, loosen the rice by separating the grains, and let it boil in high heat for eight minutes. You may have to add more water or broth (Broth will give a more flavorful boost.) if the water is dissolving too fast.
- TIP: Add a tablespoon of corn oil if you wish the congee to be smoother.
- Add mushrooms, ginger, and garlic, and stir. Continue boiling for six minutes. Throughout this period, stir often to make sure the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Throw in the rest of the ingredients, stir, and boil for four minutes. Afterwards, lower the heat and let it simmer for two minutes.
- Serve and sprinkle with garnishes as heart's desired.