Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From PDQ Vegetarian Cookbook...a cookbook that has easy, fast recipes, many vegan. Uses a lot of convenience items, like pre-sliced veggies. Good when you just don't have time to fuss, but want to make a good meal.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup frozen chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup frozen chopped green pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) packagepre-sliced fresh white mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon refrigerated bottled garlic
- 2 (14 ounce) cans low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried crumbled thyme leaves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a medium stockpot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and green pepper, cook, stirring, until softened and thawed, about 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms begin to release their liquids (about 3 minutes).
- Add broth, water, barley, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 45 minutes (or until barley is tender), stirring occasionally.