Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Entered for safe-keeping, from Weight Watchers Magazine, September-October 2008, as a side to Orange Beef WW. Each 3/4 cup serving is 2 "thingies".
- 1 1⁄3 cups vegetable broth or 1 1⁄3 cups chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- Bring broth to a boil in a saucepan; add barley. Simmer, covered, 12 minutes.
- Spray a skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat.
- Add 2 cups sliced mushrooms and cook until tender.
- Add the barley and soy sauce.
Definitely good! I was out of veggie stock and chicken stock AND beef stock for that matter, so I mixed up 1 packet of onion soup mix with 4 cups of water and voila - onion stock! The house smelled wonderful. I used regular barley (all I had on hand)- so I did need to add a little more stock than what the recipe called for. I used the morel mushrooms I had been saving for a rainy day and WOW was that a treat!!! We ate this as a main course tonight. Thanks for posting!
Simply fabulous... I used some chicken consomme in 1 1/3 c water, and regular barley because I didn't have quick-cooking barley... it took 45 minutes to cook that, but it was worth it! I also used 8 oz of fresh mushrooms, and I think I'd add more next time, because we love mushrooms here. Thanks for posting!!
This is a simple healthy dish and I loved the mushrooms in it with the soy giving it more taste. We didn't eat it as is but served it with some of our meals. Thanks!Made for PAC fall 2008.