Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Not authentic, but way healthier and much quicker!
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef or 1⁄2 lb ground turkey or 1⁄2 lb soy crumbles
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley or 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 ounces feta, crumbled
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- toss cubed eggplant with 3 tablespoons olive oil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, saute onions and ground beef in 1 tablespoon olive oil until beef is browned and onions transparent.
- Add garlic, cinnamon, oregano and salt and pepper and saute for about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and parsley and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- In small bowl, combine egg with cheeses.
- Place roasted eggplant in bottom of 1.5 quart baking dish. Layer beef/tomato mixture on top.
- Spread cheese mixture on top, covering entire dish to the edges.
- Broil for 8-10 minutes or until browned in some areas.