Recipe by nomnom
It's sooo moist - as the title says. The fruit I used were dried papaya, apricots, cranberries, and raisins. Deee-lish! The applesauce makes it moist. However, mine didn't rise that high at all. I did omit the salt and changed the orgional recipe's all-purpose to whole-wheat flour, but I don't think that caused it. It looks like biscotti when sliced. That sounds like a good idea...cut it up at the end and put it back in the oven. I should try that...or just keep as is for a little snack cake. Consider it a delicious fruit cake.
Top Review by Doubting Thomas
This is the first thing I have ever baked in my entire life and I absolutely love it. You won't confuse it for a high-fat bread but the taste is very good and the fruit is delicious. It took about 38-40 minutes to bake. I added whole eggs, baking powder and baking soda, salt, real sugar, molasses, and lemon juice. It doesn't rise that much but the smell is wonderful and it tasted so good I just ate three slices fresh from the oven. Next time I make this I am going to add nuts as well. Walnuts would go wonderfully with this. I could see myself making this on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. Even with the real sugar (only 34 grams of sugar or 3 tablespoons) and the whole eggs it is very healthy.
- 177.44 ml raisins (or any combo mixed fruit)
- 236.59 ml boiling water
- 354.88 ml whole wheat flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 7 packet sugar substitute or 44.37 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1.23 ml salt
- 2 egg whites
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 59.14 ml unsweetened applesauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray 9x5 inch loaf pan with non stick pan spray.
- Dust lightly with flour.
- Combine raisins with water.
- Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add raisins and liquid, egg, vanilla and unsweetened applesauce.
- Mix until just moistened.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and firm to touch.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
- Serve warm or slice and toast.