Recipe by **Tinkerbell**
Another favorite recipe from the booklet supplied with the Mirro brand Cookie & Pastry Press. There is no refrigeration required. I searched Zaar for the spritz cookie recipes I use from this book, to share with a fellow chef, but they weren't posted yet. *For tips on obtaining the best results possible with your cookie press, check out my photo demo in the Kitchen Gadgets & Appliances forum; click the link on my profile page or copy and paste this address: http://www.food.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=330463. I do not believe the forums are accessible anymore, so check out my original post on my personal blog here: http://tinkstreats.blogspot.com/2010/03/mirro-cookie-pastry-press.html#links
Top Review by Tea Jenny
These cookies were a delight to have with a nice cup of tea, but Oh my!!! what a mess I got in making them, even the dog was laughing at me. But hay ho, I got there in the end. I bought a cookie press about a year ago and not used it, but I will not give in. I WILL make prettier ones. Tink you make them so pretty. but they are a very nice cookie and I WILL!!! make them again, I think by Christmas I should of mastered it. LOL. Made for ZWT#6 2010.
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter (refrigerator temp or only slightly softened, margarine or shortening can be subbed)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, sugar, salt and baking powder together in a bowl.
- With a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles pie crust or biscuit mix (very fine lumps).
- Crack an egg into a glass, liquid measuring cup. A large egg will measure 1/4 cup. If it doesn't, add water to reach the 1/4 cup line.
- Add the egg, water (if needed) and the vanilla to the flour mixture and beat the mixture well.
- Fill cookie press and form cookies on ungreased cookie sheets (aluminum preferred for best heat distribution).
- Bake at 375°F for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are just set or very slightly browned. Check cookies at the 10 minute mark and bake 1-2 minutes longer, if needed.
- Remove immediately to cooling racks.