Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Mom's box, this is basically a scratch yellow cake mix for a layer cake.
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour, sifted before measuring
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Add shortening, 1/2 cup milk and egss to dry ingredients.
- Stir until flour is dampened and then beat for 1 minute.
- Add remaining milk and flavoring.
- Beat 2 minutes.
- Bake for 30 minutes in two prepared 8" round cake pans at 350.