Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This cake is so good, no need to use an electric mixer for this it's all mixed by hand in a matter of minutes! This cake is so moist and so chocolaty. If you are a cinnamon lover add in 1 teaspoon. You will love the simplicity, texture and taste of this cake!
- 1 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Set oven to 350°.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl sift together both sugars, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
- In another bowl mix/whisk together the melted butter, buttermilk, oil, water, eggs and vanilla; add to the dry ingredients; mix well to combine until you have a smooth batter (I use a large whisk for mixing).
- Add in chocolate chips and nuts (if using).
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- **NOTE** if using nuts reduce amount of chocolate chips to 1/2 cup.
Strange but delicious! I followed the directions exactly. I thought the ratio of liquid was a bit too high, but went out on a limb. My cake took about 45 minutes in our electric oven. It had a texture very similar to pudding cake and was really good warm. I didn't bother to ice it. Even cold, it is good--sort of a brownie like affair. Was sorry I didn't have any vanilla ice cream to go with it--had to make do with milk!!
I was looking for a quick and easy chocolate cake recipe to whip up for dessert, and boy this is it. Like one of the earlier reviewers I halved the recipe and baked it in a 9x9 pan. I made a few changes, substituted unsweetened Applesauce for the oil, 1/2 cup of regular sized milk chocolate and peanut butter chips, and 1/2 cup of quick cooking oats. I baked it for about 25 minutes and it turned out spectacular. I will make this many times. thanks for the wonderful recipe.
This cake is so tender and moist! I used regular chocolate chips and replaced the cup of water with coffee. I also needed to bake the cake for about 35 minutes. I used the icing from my Chocolate Sheet Cake. This is a keeper, Kit! My boys, hubby and I thank you so much.