Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I could never find a "minestrone" recipe that everyone really liked, so I derived this version from my family's favorite ingredients. After I prepare this soup, I pour it all into a large crockpot and keep it on "low" for a few hours. Then my teenage boys, Grandpap, and my wife can all serve themselves; since they all have different schedules.
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup diced carrot (3 medium)
- 1 cup diced celery (2 stalks with leaves)
- 1 cup diced onion (2 medium)
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian tomatoes (sliced or diced)
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1⁄2 lb fresh zucchini, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 3⁄4 cup ditalini or 3⁄4 cup tubetti or 3⁄4 cup spaghetti
- Thaw peas.
- Prep vegetables.
- In large Dutch oven, over medium heat, melt butter.
- Saute peas, carrots, celery, onions, parsley and basil for 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, cabbage, zucchini, kidney beans, and garbanzo beans.
- Heat to boiling over high heat.
- Add pasta.
- Cook 20 minutes over medium heat.
- Salt to taste.
This turned out really nice, making a few adjustments to suit my taste. I used veggie broth instead of chicken. Thanks for a hearty soup that hit the spot. :D