Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
An easy stew. Serve over rice or with corn bread. Add hot salsa and jalapeno for a spicy stew.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, in sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- avocado, diced
- green onion, chopped
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese, grated
- In a large sauté pan, or soup pot, saute the chicken, peppers and the garlic in the olive oil until the chicken is done. Do this on medium high and keep cooking until the chicken has no more pink remaining in the middle. Stir often.
- Add remaining ingredients (minus garnishes) and bring to a simmer. Simmer on medium for about 30 minutes or until it's as thick as you'd like it.
- Serve in soup bowls. Garnish by putting on a layer of grated cheddar, a scattering of diced avocado, a few chopped green onion pieces and a dollop of sour cream right in the middle.
I like the taste, bit spicy but ok. I added some water as I used fresh tomatoes instead of a can, maybe a bit too much as my stew became a bit too fluid