Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
Very quick, very easy, very yummy!:) I usually double this recipe.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup Minute Rice
- Cut onion in half. Finely chop 1 half. Cut the other half in very thin slices. Mash garlic with salt to make a paste.
- Heat bacon drippings in a medium saucepan. Add chopped onion and garlic paste. Cook and stir until onion is tender. Add stewed tomatoes, chicken broth, chili powder and cumin. Mash tomatoes with a masher or the back of a spoon. Bring mixture to a boil. Stir in rice and sliced onion.
- Cover and let stand over very low heat 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Use an asbestos heat diffuser if necessary to maintain very low heat.