Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I think this is from a magazine. It is a shortcut recipe since it is made with your favorite BBQ sauce.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb pork tenderloin, cut into chunks (or chicken)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate square, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Cook and stir onion and garlic in oil on medium heat until tender.
- Add meat; cook and stir on high heat for 5 minutes or until golden brown on all sides.
- Add 1/2 cup water and the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until meat is cooked through.
- Serve with 2 cups of rice.
This was good and very quick to make. My only complaint (shared by my husband) was that it was a little too rich. I think next time I would halve the chocolate and also reduce the red pepper flakes to 1/4 tsp to make a little more child friendly...it was quite spicy! But overall the flavors were interesting and are worth a repeat performance.
A quick and easy dish to prepare with a rich intriguing flavor. I've never had an authentic mole dish, so I can't compare. I made this with chicken, and of the 4 bottles of bbq sauce I found in our fridge I used Open Pit with Honey. The chocolate doesn't taste like chocolate once cooked in the sauce but provides that smoke-like undertone. We both enjoyed this for our Valentine dinner.