Recipe by Sackville
Thanks to leeannr and Bekah826 who helped me with this recipe one day when I was really lacking in inspiration.
Top Review by carole in orlando
I had all the ingredients, and cooked chicken that needed to be used up--so I made this casserole and we were delighted. My husband mentioned several times he loved the spices in it. I followed the recipe except I used monterey jack cheese for the top, and baked it for about 10 minutes. My only comment is if this serves 2 to 3 I would like to meet those people. It serves a least 4 and maybe 6 if you serve it with a salad and rolls. Thanks to a "doer again"! Carole in Orlando
- 1 cup rice, cooked according to packet directions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 6 button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 -3 spring onions, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the rice according to the directions on the packet.
- In a large, deep frying pan, saute the peppers for a couple minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and saute a couple more.
- Add in the corn, tomatoes, water, tomato paste and sugar.
- Stir to mix and let simmer for about 10 minutes or until a thicker sauce develops.
- Add the chicken and spices.
- Let cook another couple minutes until the chicken is warmed through.
- Serve over rice, topping with grated cheddar cheese and the spring onions, if desired.