For a quick but wholesome mac and cheese, look no further. This is a creamy, cheesy dish. Submitted by the Vegetarian Times.
- Cook macaroni in 3 quarts water until al dente, stirring occasionally (about 8-10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium sauce pan.
- Add garlic and cayenne pepper.
- Cook 1 minute over medium heat.
- Add the flour, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk and salt; bring to a simmer, stirring frequently.
- Simmer 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, and stir in 1 cup cheese.
- Drain pasta and add it to the sauce.
- Cook 1 minute.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese before serving.
This was pretty good. Made a bit extra (increased all measurments by about 1/3). Fed 5. No left overs, no whining! Thanks!
I was craving mac and cheese and this was perfect! Fast & delicious! I used about 1 3/4 cups of dry pasta for this. Thank you Miss Annie :)
This was delicious! It did have a stronger garlic taste than I would prefer for a mac and cheese, but I used one very large, extremely fresh clove of garlic, so I'm giving the full five stars since it may have been the difference in supermarket vs. farm-fresh garlic. I'll definitely make this again! Updated to add: I've made this again and wish I could give it more than five stars! This is the mac and cheese recipe that made my mac-and-cheese-hating boyfriend love mac and cheese!!!!