Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes together in about 30 to 40 minutes. It is spicy, but we love spicy things. It is fairly healthy, making about 20 cups of soup with only about 2 grams of fat per cup, and the flavor is really rich and satisfying. We have a garden and grow enough hot peppers to supply the lower 48 states, LOL, so I cook a lot of spicy things in the summertime! If you want to cut the spice, you can use salt instead of Tony's, but maybe not quite as much, (just taste your broth after it cooks and adjust),and of course sweet peppers for some or all of the hot. If you don't really like spice at all, use plain tomatoes instead of Rotel. I also think Masa would be delicious to thicken with; I just didn't think of it while I was making the soup. It would make the corn flavor even deeper. The sauteed, pureed vegetables came from some left over fajitas that I pureed and added to my soup. The Velveeta and Rotel were from some left over Rotel dip that I used. I included this just to give you an idea of how to use your leftovers.
- 2 hot banana peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery
- 8 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 5 teaspoons Tony Chachere's Seasoning
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 lb Velveeta cheese, Cubed
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans corn
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans creamed corn
- In a stock pot sauté bell pepper, banana peppers, tomato and 1 sliced onion in olive oil about 5 minutes and puree.
- Add chicken, Tony’s, 1 onion, celery, jalapeno peppers, garlic, Rotel tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, and water in a stock pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 to 20 minutes until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Remove and shred chicken and return to pot.
- Add whole kernel corn and cook until it just returns to boil, (a couple of minutes.) Add cream corn and cook until it just returns to a boil, (a couple of minutes.).
- Whisk the flour with a little of the milk until smooth. Gradually add the rest of the milk, whisking until incorporated.Then gradually stir into soup. Cook while stirring until returns to boil and thickened, (a couple of minutes.).
- Add Velveeta and stir until melted.
- Serve and enjoy.