Recipe by **Jubes**
A simple fry-pan cooked mushroom -lowfat version for my New Years Resolution to lose some weight. Great served on toast with egg, serve on top of steak or chicken. For a gluten-free or lactose free then check your stock powder is suitable (I use Massel brand-GF, vegan, lactose free and all natural). For a creamier sauce use low-fat cream or evaporated milk in place of the water. I've noticed that the nutrition panel seems to be picking up on the extra olive oil-it's optional and only needed if your mushrooms require. Instead of the extra oil you could use a little water.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 medium sized onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock powder or 2 crumbled chicken stock cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 500 g button mushrooms, halved .or quartered with stems removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra only if required
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornflour (US cornstarch)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion -stir until the onion has softened. Add the stock powder and dried basil. This should take roughly 3 minutes.
- Add the cut mushrooms and continue to cook for another minute. Add the extra oil if required to moisten the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the cornflour with a little water in your measuring cup. Add more water to bring to the 1/4 cup measurement of water. Mix and add over the mushrooms. You can use cream or evaporated milk in place of the water if you wish.
- Continue to cook and stir until done to your liking. I prefer to keep my mushrooms chunky.
- Serve over toast, steak or chicken.