Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
We love this easy, quick and hearty soup. If you like your soup spicy, use hot Italian sausages instead of the mild-we like it spicy! This soup freezes and reheats well. This recipe is from Sunsets Quick Meals book, 1983 edition.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mild Italian sausage, cut into ¼ inch slices (or use hot instead of mild)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cansregular-strength beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine or 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into ½ inch slices
- 5 ounces bow-shaped medium noodles, uncooked (about 3 cups)
- grated parmesan cheese
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook sausage slices until lightly browned on the outside and no longer pink inside when slashed.
- Remove from Dutch oven with a slotted spoon, drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Spoon off and discard all but 3 tablespoons drippings.
- Add garlic and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in tomatoes (break up with a spoon) and their liquid; then add sausage slices, broth, wine, and basil.
- Bring to a full rolling boil; cover reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, green pepper, zucchini, and noodles.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until noodles are al dente (about 25 minutes).
- Skim off and discard fat.
- Pass cheese at the table to spoon over individual servings.
This soup was rich, flavorful and hearty. A great meal for a chilly night! Will make again and again!