Prep 10 mins
Cook 17 mins
This is a great accompaniment with salad for a nice lunch with your friends. It's also great with a bowl of heartwarming soup. It is so easy and looks impressive they will think you went out of your way and then they will ask for the recipe! This was found originally out of the Best of Bridge.
- Saute onion and butter until the onion is transparent.
- Meanwhile, combine the bisquick, 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and milk and beat until smooth. This will be sticky. Knead 10 times on floured board working in a small amount of flour if it is sticking too much.
- Butter an 8 or 9 inch pie pan and also your hands. Spread the mixture on the bottom of the pan.
- Combine the cup of cheddar and egg. Spread over crust.
- Next, sprinkle with onion/butter mixture and top with 1 tsp of poppy seeds.
- Bake at 425 oven for 17-20 minutes watching near the end.
- To serve your guests, cut in wedges. You can also get creative and add additional herbs, salt, or different types of cheese to suit your taste.
I made this tonight to go with sausage tortelini soup. The batter was very dry not sticky at all. I had to add more milk. Then I kneaded it with added flour. After the onions I added a tsp of italian seasoning instead of poppy seeds and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese. Awesome bread! Thanks for posting!
Great quick bread ... not what I expected, but delicious!
Very good quick bread. I used old cheddar and red onions. I didn't have any poppy seeds so I substituted toasted sesame seeds. Some of the cheese on the crust became crispy. Yum