Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A Bridget Murphy recipe direct from Lake Eden, Minnesota. This chili is especially good when served with soda bread. If you don't like things spicy, cut back on the red pepper. A generous dallop of sour cream mixed into your bowl will also work to cut the heat from the pepper.
- 2 lbs hamburger (don't use lean, it needs some fat in it)
- 1 tablespoon jarred chopped garlic
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 whole cooked tomatoes, skins removed and cut into large pieces (you can use canned)
- 12 ounces Guinness stout (1 bottle)
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons whole green peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Brown the hamburger in a large skillet. Add the garlic and onion and stir until the onion pieces are translucent.
- Add the tomato sauce and the tomatoes. Stir well.
- Add remaining ingredients and heat everything up over medium heat, then cover, turn heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Optional toppings: Chopped celery sauteed in oil, but still a bit crunchy. Chopped green onions. Shredded cheese. Chopped black olives. Sour cream.
- Fill bowls with chili and top with any or all of the above.