Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I defrosted some chicken thighs and just did not know what to do with them. I'm on a serious health kick at the moment so it had to be something low calorie. This is what I came up with. I imagine that chicken breasts, or pieces would work just as well. If you use chicken pieces on the bone, adjust your cooking time as it will take a little longer.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cm fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 5 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- Chop the chicken thighs into bite sized pieces.
- In a pot, heat olive oil.
- Add chopped onion and fry until translucent.
- Add garlic, ginger, cardamom, cumin, coriander and curry powders and fry for a minute.
- Add chicken pieces and fry until lightly browned.
- Add the can of tomatoes and bring to the boil.
- Sprinkle your sugar in and turn down the heat to a simmer.
- Leave to simmer for at least an hour and serve with Basmati rice.
This is a very good recipe that was enjoyed by all! I followed this exactly, except I had to watch adding the seasonings prior to the chicken, as it seemed to brown really, really quickly and I was afraid that the chicken would burn so I backed down the heat and went from there. Next time I might brown the chicken first in the oil, and then add the seasonings, and the onion. Either way, the taste is fabulous and is just marvelous served atop some jasmine rice. The seasonings are just as terrific too! I love the use of coriander, cumin, curry, and cardamom. Thank you for posting such a great recipe that we enjoyed! Made for *Garden & Spices* Cardamom Tag game. February 2009.