Recipe by LARavenscroft
I found this recipe in one of those cookbooks you can buy at the check out stand. I've altered it to fit my allergies and my family's tastes. The original recipe called for 1 lb of boneless beef sirloin cut into thin strips, but I actually prefer to use ground beef. Serving size is 1 1/4 cups.
Top Review by smellyvegetarian
This is truly yummy stuff! I was nervous about the caraway as I don't always love it, but in this it was lovely and I might even add more next time. In an effort to A> stretch a buck and B> get more veggies into my boys I used 1/2 lb ground beef and 1 1/4-ish cups finely diced mushrooms to add the remaining bulk. I also used a combination of green and red peppers. I used whole wheat egg noodles as well, which were perfect. Thanks for posting; I know I will make this again! Made for Went to Market tag.
- cooking spray
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, coarsley chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 4 1⁄2 ounces rotini pasta, uncooked (I use Tinkyada rice pasta)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a 12-inch skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef, onion and green pepper; cook and stir 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add water, tomatoes, tomato sauce, paprika, sugar, salt, and caraway seed.
- Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Add rotini.
- Rduce heat to medium; cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until rotini is tender stirring occasionally.