Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe in one of those cookbooks you can buy at the check out stand. I've altered it to fit my allergies and my family's tastes. The original recipe called for 1 lb of boneless beef sirloin cut into thin strips, but I actually prefer to use ground beef. Serving size is 1 1/4 cups.
- cooking spray
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, coarsley chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 4 1⁄2 ounces rotini pasta, uncooked (I use Tinkyada rice pasta)
- Spray a 12-inch skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef, onion and green pepper; cook and stir 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add water, tomatoes, tomato sauce, paprika, sugar, salt, and caraway seed.
- Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Add rotini.
- Rduce heat to medium; cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until rotini is tender stirring occasionally.
This is truly yummy stuff! I was nervous about the caraway as I don't always love it, but in this it was lovely and I might even add more next time. In an effort to A> stretch a buck and B> get more veggies into my boys I used 1/2 lb ground beef and 1 1/4-ish cups finely diced mushrooms to add the remaining bulk. I also used a combination of green and red peppers. I used whole wheat egg noodles as well, which were perfect. Thanks for posting; I know I will make this again! Made for Went to Market tag.
I am sure this dish is great, but Gulyas is an actual meal, not a medley of things. Gulyas is a very simple meat and potato stew. Please respect the culture.
Another dish the kids like, and a one dish meal to boot. Instead of diced tomatoes, I used 2 cans of tomato sauce and had to add some more water. My noodles (the rice ones) usu. take 16 min. in boiling water, so they weren't quite done, but weren't hard either. I let it simmer for a few more minutes. Cut the paprika in half and didn't use caraway (don't have it). Made for Fav's of 2009 tag.