Recipe by Dienia B.
From a hand written cookbook from 1930s, Neligh Ne. Cinnamon, honey, and orange zest in this; it tastes like a biscuit with honey and cinnamon.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in shortening.
- Add milk to make soft dough; recipe says you may have to add 3/4 cup milk but start with lesser amount (I did have to add more milk).
- Turn out on a floured board; knead 1/2 minute.
- Divide dough in half.
- Roll each portion into circular shape about 1/4 inch thick.
- Brush with melted butter and honey that you have melted together.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Cut into pie shaped pieces.
- Roll up starting at large end (roll tight or they will come unrolled).
- Brush with egg yolk mixed with water.
- Sprinkle top with orange zest.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes in hot oven 450 degrees Fahrenheit. (Mine took a little longer).
- Be careful when handling them out of oven; the honey is wicked hot for a few minutes.