Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This provides you with so many nutrients! I used to make this salad during college as a cheap, fast and healthy meal, and never tired of it as there are so many endless modifications! To switch from garbanzos I often use cubes of baked tofu instead, and have even used tuna or hard-boiled eggs in the past, but always something with protein. Add anything else you like-sunflower greens, nuts, and dried cranberries are awesome...
- 1 cup Baby Spinach (or more depending on how much you like)
- 1 medium tomatoes (I used organic roma)
- 3 button mushrooms
- 1⁄3 cucumber
- 1⁄2 cup canned garbanzo beans (you can use more if you want-but the drained rest of the can will save in the fridge for a few days)
- 1⁄4 avocado, diced into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- olive oil (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Dice tomato, mushrooms, cucumber, and avocado into small pieces and put in bowl, or preferably a container with a lid.
- Drain liquid from garbanzo beans (keep them a little moist though) and add your desired amount to the veggies. If you like salt and pepper, add it now and stir the mixture. (If you are using flavored tofu or anything else, add it now and stir).
- Dice spinach into small pieces and add to the rest.
- Pour the balsamic vinegar on top and drizzle olive oil if you want (I don't usually use it).
- Put the lid on top (or if you are using a bowl, cover it with a plate), turn the container or bowl upside down and give it a really good shake to mix the vinegar in and everything else around. Turn it back over and eat! I find that dicing everything in small pieces and shaking it makes the flavors come together very nicely. The avocado and moisture from the garbanzo beans covers everything and for that reason I feel it doesn't even need added oil. Enjoy!
I really enjoyed this salad! Most of these ingredients are some of my favorite salad ingredients. I don't usually enjoy fresh spinach but I loved it in this salad. The balsamic vinegar dressing really adds to the combination of flavors. I didn't use the oil and didn't miss it. Yummy!