Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Fresh hash browns made quick from scratch.
Make and share this Quick Hash Browns recipe from Food.com.
- The number of potatoes simply depends upon the number of people you are feeding.
- Wash and do not peel the potatoes. Microwave on high until mostly done. If using 2-3 small red potatoes for two servings this will be about 2 1/2 minutes.
- While microwaving the potatoes fill a bowl with iced water. When potatoes are done drop them into the ice water and cut them lengthwise in half to expedite cooling.
- When just cool enough to handle shred each half without peeling. Keep the peel against your palm while shredding and most of the peel will remain in your hand. Discard the peel and continue with recipe.
- Place shredded potatoes in skillet sprayed with vegetable spray and cook over medium heat until well browned. Flip and repeat.
- (I don't use salt and pepper, I had to include something else here or the system would not let me publish this. Add it if you would like.).
- NOTE: If you want to add other items to these then shred them onto a plate first, add the other items and them place in fry pan. You might want to add some diced onion, bacon or bacon bits, shredded cheese, chives or whatever you might imagine.
5 stars for this method!!! It took no extra time than when I have tried to make hash browns and shredded raw potatoes and it cooked up much better as well! It doesn't bind together so it was kind of hard to flip, but I muddled through! :) I used 2 x 4 ounce potatoes and topped with some Hy's seasoning salt, freshly ground pepper and some cheddar cheese. Delish! Made for my adopted chef for Spring PAC 2010. Thanks Chef Larz! :)
THese are yum! and FAST! my only tip is this, make sure you dont over cook in the micro or you wont really be able to shred b/c it sorta crumbles. Also, let them cool completely before shredding!
This is the best hash brown recipe I've ever tried they came out fantastic.