Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love this tasty soup for dinner on chilly days. I serve this with bread and a tossed salad. This recipe is vegetarian if you use the vegetable, rather than beef, broth. From the Chicago Tribune Good Eating section.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery rib, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium vegetable broth or 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 chopped red potatoes
- 1 chopped russet potato
- 1 large zucchini, peeled,chopped
- 2 cups packed baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat; add onions and celery; cook until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes, potatoes, zucchini, spinach, peas, parsley, basil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat to boil; reduce heat to simmer, cook, covered, 10 minutes.