Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Assemble the night before, refrigerate and bake.It is the same as cabbage rolls but not as much work.Correction 1 more cup of water added. Make sure you use DICED TOMATOES WITH ALL OF THE JUICE, A 29 OZ. CAN.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons salt or 2 teaspoons salt substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 small onions, diced
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaf
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or 2 tablespoons Splenda substitute with 1 tsp molasses)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 whole head of cabbage, fresh and chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of, fresh
- In deep metal rectangular pan or 9x13 pan,cover the inside of pan with tinfoil, bottom and sides so there is enough lap over the sides to fold together in the middle to form a cover.
- Remove core and chop cabbage.
- Place in pan.
- Sprinkle with 1 tsp salt.
- In large mixing bowl, mix meat, 1 tsp salt, pepper, diced onions, 2 eggs, cilantro, rice, and brown sugar. Mix well.
- Distribute evenly over the chopped cabbage.
- Squeeze the lemon over the meat mixture.
- In bowl mix soup water, tomatoes with juice and allspice.
- Pour over the top. Take a fork and gently fork down in the layer of ingredients to make sure sauce goes down into the bottom to the cabbage. Do not rip tinfoil.You can refrigerate overnight but use more cooking time.
- Remember to close the tin foil and make a fold in the top. This creates a steam pocket for the rice and vegetables to cook.
- Bake 350°F 50 minutes or extra 10 minutes if refrigerated.
Had all the necessary items so i thought I would give it a go. I followed the directions and this was awful. The rice did not cook evenly and did not have enough moisture to cook properly. Nothing about this was pleasant. Sorry but it went straight down the disposal.I went back to recipe several times to make sure i was following the steps so perhaps something was left out of the posted recipe?