Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
So simple and easy and, yes, quick, you won't believe how good it is! By way of the Los Angeles Times.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs halibut fillets, rinsed and patted dry (2 fillets)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cups tomatoes, peeled, diced and drained (I use Muir Glen organic)
- 3⁄4 cup kalamata olive, pitted
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper
- 6 -8 basil leaves, torn
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Lightly season the fish with salt and add the fillets to the pan and sear until they have good color, about 4 minutes.
- Turn over the fillets, reduce the heat to low and cook 1 minute.
- Remove the fish to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the garlic and shallots to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, olives, capers, pepper flakes, vinegar and one-half teaspoon salt and saute 1 minute.
- Increase the heat to medium and simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked through and the sauce is bubbly. Add the fish back into the sauce during the final minute of cooking.
- Transfer the fillets to a platter, spoon the sauce over and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and the torn basil and serve immediately.
Great fish. We loved the olives in it. I added more garlic and balsamic vinegar and used fresh tomatoes.
TO DIE FOR!!! Absolute best halibut dish we've tried and we've tried A LOT! Loved the medley of flavors. Was very skeptical about using canned tomatoes, but with the kalamata's and capers, this was a HUGE hit! I increased the garlic to about 5 cloves and increased the crushed red pepper flakes. Forgot all about the basil and had a heck of a dinner! This is our new favorite halibut recipe and will be made regularly! Thank you for posting!
You know that song.... "These Are a Few of My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music???? (OK, embarassing that I even know that song!) I swear, THIS is the meal that swarms through my head as I eat each bite. It is so, so good. Fresh, lively, flavorful and INSANELY delicious over linguine. Holy cow, soooooooooooo perfect. Make this and love it!!!!