Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
America's Test Kitchen
Make and share this Quick Guinness Beef Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sirloin steaks, tips trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3⁄4 cup Guinness stout
- Pat steak dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over med-high heat until just smoking.
- Cook beef until well browned all over, 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer to plate.
- Melt butter in now-empty pot.
- Add carrots, parsnips, onions, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until browned, 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook until golden, about 1 minute.
- Add broth, beer, and beef, along with any accumulated juices, and bring to boil.
- Decrease heat to med-low and simmer, covered, until beef and vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.