Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Vegetarian bean soup, healthy to boot! Try it served with cornbread.
- 2 cups black beans, undrained
- 2 cups kidney beans, undrained
- 2 cups garbanzo beans, undrained
- 2 cups black-eyed peas, undrained
- 1 (28 ounce) canchopped tomatoes with juice
- 30 ounces enchilada sauce, New Mexico-style green chile
- 1 cup unsweetened canned pumpkin
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Spray a large soup pot with nonstick cooking spray. Put beans, tomatoes and all liquid into pot, and heat over medium high, stirring often.
- When heated through, reduce heat to medium-low and stir in enchilada sauce and pumpkin.
- Heat again, stir in salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Serve in large soup bowls and garnish with sour cream, cheddar or monterey jack cheese, and cilantro.
I made this soup the lazy way and just opened a can of each ingredient and dumped it into a pot. It turned out great!
this soup was so good and so easy. my partner hates canned pumpkin, so finding ways to use it is always a challenge, but she loved this soup and has requested that i make it again :) -- thank you so much for sharing --my store did not have the green chile enchilada sauce, so i used a jar of salsa verde and red enchilada sauce. i also used 1 1/2 cups of the canned pumpkin (didnt want to have leftover canned pumpkin).