Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Nigel Slater a quick alternative to slow cooked bean dishes. Blissful comfort food for those chilly nights, and quick too!
- 1 large thickly sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 6 slices smoked bacon
- 2 (400 g) cans haricot beans
- 200 g creme fraiche
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- pour oil into a shallow pan and cook the onions till soft and golden.
- stir thyme into the onions and cut bacon into short pieces and add to the pan, stirring occasionally until pale gold and fragrant.
- drain the beans and rinse under cold water.
- tip into the onion mix and add the creme fraiche and stir till bubbling.
- check the seasoning, you will probably need both salt and pepper.
- transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle parmesan over the top. Bake for approximately 30 mins or until top is crisp and the sauce is bubbling around the edges.
Delicious beans!!! I cut the recipe in half and did season with some Fleur De Sel and pepper but otherwise followed as written!! Talk about flavorful beans, this has it all!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for family picks in ZWT 5.
Any recipe by Nigel Slater is a 5 star recipe for me - and this was great! I made it EXACTLY as stated and it was a delicious and comforting side dish for some home-made sausages. Almost like a cassoulet without all the meat - lovely, thanks for posting Linds! Made for NZT - FT:-)