Recipe by lindseylcw
From Nigel Slater a quick alternative to slow cooked bean dishes. Blissful comfort food for those chilly nights, and quick too!
Top Review by diner524
Delicious beans!!! I cut the recipe in half and did season with some Fleur De Sel and pepper but otherwise followed as written!! Talk about flavorful beans, this has it all!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for family picks in ZWT 5.
- 1 large thickly sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 6 slices smoked bacon
- 2 (400 g) cans haricot beans
- 200 g creme fraiche
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- pour oil into a shallow pan and cook the onions till soft and golden.
- stir thyme into the onions and cut bacon into short pieces and add to the pan, stirring occasionally until pale gold and fragrant.
- drain the beans and rinse under cold water.
- tip into the onion mix and add the creme fraiche and stir till bubbling.
- check the seasoning, you will probably need both salt and pepper.
- transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle parmesan over the top. Bake for approximately 30 mins or until top is crisp and the sauce is bubbling around the edges.