Recipe by andrealeev
This makes gnocchi sooo easy. Thank you Sandy. I married an Italian who loves this dish! I have also added parmesan cheese for something different. I freeze the gnocchi before boiling for easier handling as well as make double batches to save for later. They freeze very well.
- 1 cup instant potato flakes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potato flakes in a medium-size bowl. Pour in boiling water; stir until blended. Let cool.
- Beat egg and stir in salt and pepper. Blend in enough flour to make fairly stiff dough. Turn dough out on a well floured board. Knead lightly.
- Divide dough in half (I do fourths for easier working). Shape each half into a long thin roll, the thickness of a breadstick. With a knife dipped in flour, cut into bite size pieces. For a more authentic shape, roll against a fork tine and pinch a bit.
- Place a few gnocchi in boiling water. As the gnocchi rise to the top of the pot, remove them with a slotted spoon. Repeat until all are cooked. Top with tomato sauce.
- These can be made ahead and frozen.