Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great as a Holiday Sidedish. This was in the Great Falls Tribune. The first time my mom made it, I was hesitant to eat a dish made only of onions, but boy was I pleasantly surprised. To peel Pearl Onions - blanch in hot water for 10 to 20 seconds and the skins come right off.
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 lb white pearl onion, peeled
- Stir together margaine, corn syrup and water in 2 qt pan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Add onions and cover.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Stirring constantly, cook another 5 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite meat dish.
I made again with a package of frozen pearl onions. It cut the cooking time down by 10 minutes #4. No change to #5 or #6. Fresh or frozen pearl onions, it is delicious especially served with pork!