Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
The first recipe given to me as a child to bake by myself. The recipe says 5dz. but I usually get 3dz so its the size of the cooky that matters ;) These ginger cookies are usually gone before I get the last batch baked.
- 2⁄3 cup salad oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (for dipping)
- Beat salad oil with sugar, add egg beat well.
- Stir in molasses.
- In medium size bowl stir dry ingredients together, add to oil mixture.
- Drop by teaspoonful into sugar roll around, shake off excess, place on cooky sheet bake 12-15 min at 350 degrees .
- P.S. Sometimes if the dough is a little soft I chill it for a half hour or so, before dropping into sugar and baking.
I'm a ginger-holic and these really hit the spot. I used margarine instead of oil, and baked these babies on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet. They were originally meant as a hostess gift, but I couldn't part with them.
Five stars plus some !!! Mine turned out perfectly . I too used margarine instead of oil with a fabulous result.
these really are great! loved them! couldn't find the oven temp, so i just guessed, 350 and it worked out. [Editor's Note: this recipe was updated as a result of these comments 9/27/2002]