Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Healthy, zingy carrots with heaps of ginger with wholegrain mustard
- 4 -6 carrots
- 1 tablespoon rice bran, spread
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons coarse grain mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Chop carrots on an angle and place in mirowave proof bowl.
- Add other ingredients on top, do not stir.
- Cook for 1 min on high, then stir all ingredients to coat carrots evenly.
- Cook for a further 3 mins on high, then serve. Drizzle remaining butter suace over the top of the carrots.
Butter subbed for rice bran spread. I steamed the carrots then warmed the remaining ingredients in a small saucepan, whisking until the mixture was hot. Served over mixed greens along with Egyptian koftit roz. Reviewed for Best of 2010.
As with others, I was ready to substitute another ingredient for the rice bran spread, but my winderful ingredient-finding friend came through at the last minute & I was able to follow the recipe exactly! Especially enjoyed the crunch of the carrots (but then I enjoy eating them raw, too, so . . .)! Great flavor from the ginger makes these a great do-again item for our table! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's Pick A Chef]
DD17 was just commenting she didn't like carrots as she stuck one of these in her mouth and said "wow." She loved them! Use of rice bran spread instead of butter makes this potentially vegan, which doesn't concern us much except to honor the chef; we couldn't find any so we used olive oil instead, which worked fine. Wonderful! One note: these are pretty crunchy, and if you need or want your carrots soft, you'll need to steam them first. Made for Pick A Chef.