I adapted the recipe from Bon Appetit (May 2006) and changed it up to add lemon and pineapple juice. I love it! The original recipe did not call for the lemon and pineapple juices, so you may want to try it that way first, but I highly recommend you try them! Oh, at first the drink was quite hot and spicy, but after sitting a short time in the fridge, it was just right! For a demonstration on how to make this recipe, go here: http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=247514
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Finely chop ginger in a food processor. Transfer to a large glass or ceramic bowl; add boiling water and stir to blend. Cover loosely with foil. Let the ginger mixture stand at cool room temperature 24 hours.
- Strain ginger liquid into large pitcher; discard the solids in a strainer.
- Add brown sugar to liquid and stir until the sugar dissolves. Add lemon juice and pineapple juice.
- Fill glasses with crushed ice and pour ginger beer over ice. If you like, add a little club soda. Serve with lime wedge to squeeze over. Enjoy!
LOVED it! I don't think I've ever had ginger beer before (can't remember), DH has and he said this tastes MUCH MUCH BETTER than the store bought stuff! I had to cut the recipe in half since the local shop didn't have much ginger!!! I added in the lemon juice but didn't bother with the pineapple juice and I mixed it with club soda. Very refreshing! Thank you, Sharon123, for sharing this wonderful recipe. I definitely will be making this again!
I made this sometime ago and my review somehow fell thru the cracks! I have since made it severall times! It's so different and delicious. Thanks Sharon for sharing another great one. I shared with my friends and they have all requested the recipe! Great unique, and definitely worthy! Cheers ~V (Made for 1-2-3)
I've never had ginger beer before and what a surprise. I first tasted it plain and I really liked it. Then added the lemon, pineapple juice and club soda and love it even more. It's spicy enough to make your throat and lips tingle. I think it would be soothing for an upset stomach as well. Thank you for the introduction to something new Sharon!