Recipe by Sharon123
I adapted the recipe from Bon Appetit (May 2006) and changed it up to add lemon and pineapple juice. I love it! The original recipe did not call for the lemon and pineapple juices, so you may want to try it that way first, but I highly recommend you try them! Oh, at first the drink was quite hot and spicy, but after sitting a short time in the fridge, it was just right! For a demonstration on how to make this recipe, go here: http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=247514
Top Review by Aaliyah's&Aaron'sMum
LOVED it! I don't think I've ever had ginger beer before (can't remember), DH has and he said this tastes MUCH MUCH BETTER than the store bought stuff! I had to cut the recipe in half since the local shop didn't have much ginger!!! I added in the lemon juice but didn't bother with the pineapple juice and I mixed it with club soda. Very refreshing! Thank you, Sharon123, for sharing this wonderful recipe. I definitely will be making this again!
- 6 cups water
- 1 lb fresh ginger, peeled, coarsely chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice (or more to taste)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup pineapple juice (to taste)
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
- crushed ice
- club soda (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Finely chop ginger in a food processor. Transfer to a large glass or ceramic bowl; add boiling water and stir to blend. Cover loosely with foil. Let the ginger mixture stand at cool room temperature 24 hours.
- Strain ginger liquid into large pitcher; discard the solids in a strainer.
- Add brown sugar to liquid and stir until the sugar dissolves. Add lemon juice and pineapple juice.
- Fill glasses with crushed ice and pour ginger beer over ice. If you like, add a little club soda. Serve with lime wedge to squeeze over. Enjoy!