Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This quick and delicious soup is made with leftover salad -- tomatoes, lettuce, olives, onions, cucs, including the dressing that's still clinging to it! Preparation time is included in the chilling time.
- 2 cups tomatoes, diced
- 2 -3 medium peeled tomatoes, additional, so the soup won't look sick (optional)
- 1 cup any type lettuce, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced
- salt and pepper or other seasoning, if needed
- miniature crouton, for a garnish
- tiny diced cucumber, bits for a garnish
- First, you may want to remove any bits of cheese from the salad before blending, or it may lend an extra zip you'll find tasty, so be your own guide.
- Put the leftover salad and additional tomato into a blender and blend until chunky or smooth, depending upon your taste.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Cover and chill thoroughly in the refrigerator.
- Serve in champagne glasses or small bowls.
- Top with croutons and cucumber bits.
This was so easy to make and a great way to use up old lettuce. We tried it chunky and smooth but liked chunky best. Smooth has an odd green color so it's not good for picky eaters or guests, plus you lose so much of the fabulous texture. This dish reminded me very much of a salsa, although I think it needed fresh pepper. I will definitely make this again. I want to try it, though, as a sauce for some lean ground meat. THAT would be delicious!
I loved the concept of a use for leftover dressed salad! I stumbled across this recipe with 2 small bowls of dressed salad destined for the trash. I didn't really follow the recipe - just used the concept, and also used up lots of bits of veggies I had around the house. To the chopped salad, I added 1/2 can petite diced tomatoes, chopped onion, celery, cucumber, parsley, red pepper, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, Old Bay, black pepper, dash Worcester Sauce, and maybe the kitchen sink. Needed more liquid, so I pureed the other 1/2 can of tomatoes with some water. It was so good I kept having petite bowls "to taste," even though it is for tomorrow.
I had some leftover greek salad and some homemade dressing and just tossed into the blender. Added some tomato juice, chicken broth and spices (basil,tarragon,cumin and garlic cloves) resulting in a great chilled soup. There was no lettuce in my salad this time.